Monday, November 10, 2008

Second Home Study



I am excited because there are only two more documents left to secure, then I send it all off to my agency.  The second home study visit was yesterday morning, and it was relaxed and enjoyable.  Once the social worker types up the rest of the home study, it is sent to the agency and, together with my paperwork, becomes the Dossier.  It is then sent to Ethiopia and translated.  Two documents were sent to Olympia to be stamped with a State Seal, and since my check has been cashed, I feel reasonably confident that this has been done.  I also sent away for a new passport, and that check has also been cashed.  So, a lot of progress has been made, now that I stop and think about it.  The social worker is estimated about a year until a child is able to be brought home, which matches other estimates I've heard.  It seems like such a long time.
Last weekend I also traveled to see my mother and break the adoption new to her.  I was rather worried about it as my larger decisions tend to unseat her.  But she seemed quite happy at the prospect of being a grandmother again.  It also probably helped to have given her the beautiful photo book, Faces of Layla, as she could visualize who the waiting children are.  Now that I've told my mother, I feel like I can bring up the adoption more casually, and to family.  I'm trying very hard not to get too attached to the idea of a toddler, because there is a big possibility that the child referred to me will be different than what I am picturing.  I'll be thrilled regardless, but until a referral comes, I want to keep my mind open.
For those friends abroad, enjoy this photo of N. riding a pony and with her friend M.

No comments: